The Hedge is here

Themen zum Bogenbau
klausmann84

Re: The Hedge is here

Beitrag von klausmann84 » 23.08.2021, 18:17

Again what learned. :D

Since the pictures were taken where its legal to hunt whith bows, i dont see the problem, but rules are rules. Lets say: Sausages grow on trees and everything is fine in the end. ;)

Hungary for me seems to be a far journey, i think people from the states maybe have a different relation to far distances, at least in comparison to me.

How many pounds of drawweight would you feel save with, when joining billets like that? Do you wrap the joint after glueing, for example with threat/glew or sinew?
Im Tannenwald, in klammem Spalt, stellen die Mannen bald die Hannen Alt Kannen kalt.

HedgeHunter

Beitrag von HedgeHunter » 24.08.2021, 14:01

If you back the joint with a wood block you can make any weight bow you would like, I add a photo of the Osage block i glued on yesterday.

Yes, in USA we drive far to hunt. I drove my truck 1500km to hunt Elk in Idaho and Montana. Would be like you driving into Russia and back.
Making Amerika Primitive Again - MAPA

HedgeHunter

Beitrag von HedgeHunter » 24.08.2021, 14:10

Here is riser block glued on. Just need to straighten limbs on form and it will be ready to tiller.

HH~
Dateianhänge
IMG_0085.JPG
IMG_0084.JPG

Noodles

Beitrag von Noodles » 24.08.2021, 18:03

Hello and welcome to Fletchers Corner

I think there are some here who would find it interesting to go hunting with their self-made bow. But that doesn't work with us. And I think if we hunt in Hungary or Russia we shouldn't take the meat home with us. There are sure to be a bunch of laws that make that impossible for us. It's a shame, actually. What do you do in winter when the hunt is not so successful? Just buy it?

Greetings from noodles (Steffen)

HedgeHunter

Beitrag von HedgeHunter » 25.08.2021, 13:43

NO!
I kill enough with my bow to feed several families. I have four deep freezers for, elk, deer, rabbits. turkey, etc. I also freeze and can my garden vegetables for the winter months.

Yep, they have really taken the Hunter Gather out of the Human Genome have they not? Sad really, as that is how humans were programed to be for hundred thousands years.

Here is this bows riser/handle section. I had to make a tennon to fit in handle to make in stronger. This is what it looked like before glue up. The small thin peice of edge grain osage was glued into the middle.

HH~
Dateianhänge
21 snake riser.jpeg
handle/Riser glue up

kra
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Beitrag von kra » 25.08.2021, 15:52

Hi, HedgeHunter, welcome here.

I know that these matters are handled differently in the USA but, anyway as interesting it may be and how tantalizing it is for several already here for a longer time to test the limits, FC is a strict non-hunting Forum.
So, please to all, accept these limits and do not try to go round this!

There have been very bad experiences in the past with bowhunting as a thema here, so please respect -- no discussion about hunting (or bowhunting) at FC.
“Was wir brauchen, sind ein paar verrückte Leute; seht euch an, wohin uns die Normalen gebracht haben.”
– George Bernard Shaw

HedgeHunter

Beitrag von HedgeHunter » 26.08.2021, 14:10

Sure and I bet you have.
Will not over turn the apfel cart on you.

Got his bow ready for the form or caul as we sometimes call them. Will get the limb tips to line up and will add some more reflex to to the limbs today.

Like to make my own fletching. Getting ready for some new fall arrows

HH~
Dateianhänge
image0 (23).jpg

Ravenheart
Forengott
Forengott

Beitrag von Ravenheart » 26.08.2021, 14:56

There are many hunting (also: bowhunting)-communities in www...
Fletchers Corner is a bow-building and sport-community.

What's the problem? ;)
You must not talk about barbecue in a veggie-community..
You must not talk about parachute in a frogman-community..

:D 8)

Raven

HedgeHunter

Beitrag von HedgeHunter » 26.08.2021, 22:32

Building bows RavenMann. I am fine with that. Wont post anymore dead critters for those weak of heart or mind.

Got this snakey Osage back in the form. Reflexing the limbs one at a time. Should have it reflexed by tomorrow and begin tillering. It will have an arrow shelf and we call them ALB American Longbows. Has to have a shelf for when you hang the bow from a tree son arrow does not fall off.

HH~
Dateianhänge
IMG_0025.JPG

klausmann84

Beitrag von klausmann84 » 27.08.2021, 12:14

@ kra und Rabe: I wasnt aware of this rule so I made a statement what i find theoretically interesting. If its not wanted here, I think its really the best to avoid this topic, because otherwise it would lead to endless discussions or even worse. Bowbuilding and the other topics around that is a wide enough field.

Thats ist.

I would really love to process Osage one day, and the technique of applying the riser seems interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I hope i can show some bows in the near future, its gotten a little bit quiet on the board these days, but Winter is coming. ;D
Im Tannenwald, in klammem Spalt, stellen die Mannen bald die Hannen Alt Kannen kalt.

HedgeHunter

Beitrag von HedgeHunter » 27.08.2021, 14:19

I got plenty bows and a barn full of osage billets and staves. I cut for the years ahead.

HH~
Dateianhänge
Ante 2021.jpg
Hdge A.jpeg
IMG_0066.JPG

HedgeHunter

Beitrag von HedgeHunter » 27.08.2021, 22:40

Here this billet snakey bow out of the form. Has reflex in it now. Looks like it will hold some of the reflex after tiller as well.

HH~
Dateianhänge
2021 reflex.jpeg
Has 5 inches of reflex now
2021 caul.jpeg
21 to.jpeg

Haitha
Forenlegende
Forenlegende

Beitrag von Haitha » 28.08.2021, 08:47

Nice pictures. And very interesting handle construction. Have used biscuits on edge occasionally but the big dowel is a nice addition to my kit of methods. Cheers!
Guess you used a router?

Are you with the Twin Oaks folks?

Best regards from Lower Saxony
Fall down seven times, stand up eight.

Carve a little wood, pull a few strings and sometimes magic happens - Gepetto

HedgeHunter

Beitrag von HedgeHunter » 28.08.2021, 12:42

Sure am. Live right up the road, The HegeHunter.

That was not a dowel it was an edge grain 8"x.5"x.25" tenon. No, I cut that by hand after ligthly glued riser block and cutting out sight widow. Then , i knocked it off and hand carved the slots for tenon.

Yes this will stiffen up your riser with good two part epoxy and keep vibration out of riser glue lines. When finished it looks just like any other glue on riser for a billet bow but it is much more work. The results for longevity are worth the effort.

HH~
Dateianhänge
image0 (29).jpg
The Man and myself

schnabelkanne
Forenlegende
Forenlegende

Beitrag von schnabelkanne » 28.08.2021, 13:21

Hi, nice Osage Staves. The heat treatment of Osage is very interesting, I am looking forward to know how much of the Reflex survive. Nice pictures, thank you for sharing.
Greetings from Austria
Thomas
The proof of the pudding is in the eating!

Antworten

Zurück zu „Bogenbau“