A try for Howard Hill

Everything else
Peter O. Stecher

A try for Howard Hill

Beitrag von Peter O. Stecher » 07.01.2013, 23:35

A try for Howard Hill, Manuscript by Peter O. Stecher, 2007

In the 1950s, Howard Hill got USD 5,000 for a 30-minute-performance. A fortune, even today, when you think how much he earned per minute.

At Grant Park in Chicago, he was performing in front of 35,000 spectators. After the archery shooting exhibition, the crowd tore the shirt off his back and also took his bow and arrows for souvenirs.

Hill’s characteristic shooting style has influenced generations of archers. He made reasonable, serious people, until then regarding the bow and arrow as kids’ stuff, buy a longbow, don a back quiver and shoot at really, really big animals. It was Howard Hill who made the longbow, as serious hunting weapon, popular worldwide. Pope, Young or Bear were no showmen of Hill’s caliber; he really knew how to present himself, how to make the most of his shows. I think Howard Hill was the only one who soley made a living doing archery, without being among the major archery manufacturers.

Hill epitomized the perfect sportsman, typical for his era. An adventurer able to enthrall others, a gentleman and a tough guy at the same time. One might meet Howard Hill at a Hollywood party, surrounded by movie stars fascinated by his Alabama-slang-Hill-stories, when he was catching a bear in Wyoming with the lasso or killing that dangerous shark, such a devious beast, with the longbow under water, using his home-made diving equipment, with Errol Flyinn at the pump. One could also meet Hill on Catalina Island, preparing “Hill stew” at the campfire for his hunting chums after a bloodcurdling wild boar hunt. In order to play a joke on his fellas, he also cooked a fox which he had taken before. A typical Howard-Hill-joke.

Even today, lots of archers worldwide use the straight-ended longbow. Custom bowyers and major manufacturers, for example, Martin Archery, have this bow type in their program; whereas, at the same time, the development of the modern longbow goes more and more into the direction of “hybrid bow”; that means a heavy, long middle part, often with recurve handle, and strong reflex-deflex limbs, using arrows as light as possible. Today’s Hill-stye bows (with fiberglass) go back to the 1950s.

What is it that makes Hill-style bows so attractive? Purely rational and objective arguments will not give a watertight explanation why these simple, straight, plain bows with the deep, usually straight handle, still represent the Nec Plus Ultra in bow making for countless “Hill-disciples”. What is it that makes these archers smile at modern longbow material?

------------------------------> Read the complete manuscript:

http://peterostecher.wordpress.com/2013/01/07/legends-in-archery-a-try-for-howard-hill/
Dateianhänge
howardhillerrollflynn.jpg
https://classic-archer.com/

Yumiya

Re: A try for Howard Hill

Beitrag von Yumiya » 08.01.2013, 13:36

*entfernt*

Auch englisch keine Jagdthemen bitte!

Rabe

Akzeptiert!

Yet a strange way to glory!

Yumiya

doubleD

Beitrag von doubleD » 08.01.2013, 14:22

Peter O. Stecher hat geschrieben:surrounded by movie stars fascinated by his Alabama-slang-Hill-stories

Bedeutet dies das er ein Hill-Billy war ?
Burleigh & Stronginthearm
Crossbow makers to the nobility, and manufacturers of a full catalog of personal arms and military weapons systems.
btw Duty is ours, consequences are God's

MoeM
Forenlegende
Forenlegende

Beitrag von MoeM » 08.01.2013, 16:56

doubleD hat geschrieben:
Peter O. Stecher hat geschrieben:surrounded by movie stars fascinated by his Alabama-slang-Hill-stories

Bedeutet dies das er ein Hill-Billy war ?

I throw myself away :D :D :D
Grüße Moe

Holzbieger

Beitrag von Holzbieger » 08.01.2013, 17:08

OK rewritten.

Folks I am totally shocked. In the oficially PC (politically correct) US american language you cannot say Hillybilly anymore!

The official term is: Appalachian American

Grinsduckundweg

Roland
Zuletzt geändert von Holzbieger am 08.01.2013, 22:06, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
- Es ist besser ein gute Entscheidung rechtzeitig zu treffen als eine sehr gute zu spät.
- Ancora Imparo

Peter O. Stecher

Beitrag von Peter O. Stecher » 08.01.2013, 21:26

Nobody says anything because that's an English language board and our sophisticated fellas are writing stupidities in German language here. But if I share a biography of a famous archer of the past, they scream like little babys getting the first tooth, that it's a hunting topic. I should have know this!! Very funny, extraordinary funny! :D :D :D

Yumiya

Beitrag von Yumiya » 08.01.2013, 21:53

In your linked article, the word hunt... appears 27 times.
Therefore, this word is obviously closely linked to this biography.

Yumiya

Taran
Forenlegende
Forenlegende

Beitrag von Taran » 08.01.2013, 21:55

Why did you post it anyway?
What kind of trial/attempt is it?
Sorry to be another of these teething babies - but only where grammar and concise expression are concerned.

MoeM
Forenlegende
Forenlegende

Beitrag von MoeM » 08.01.2013, 22:35

Talking about the past`s archery it is very hard to avoid topics such as hunt and war...
Grüße Moe

Peter O. Stecher

Beitrag von Peter O. Stecher » 08.01.2013, 23:03

I posted it for you Taran, because your honest opinion and judgement is important to me, Sensei! ::)

doubleD

Beitrag von doubleD » 08.01.2013, 23:08

Yep... than again in broad English

Do you want to point out he was a Hill-Billy?

And btw you may be fascinated by anyone you like but your girly attempts to celebrate this will always be reason for some rough jokes. Take it with humour or.. if you cant.. leave it alone.
Crossbow makers to the nobility, and manufacturers of a full catalog of personal arms and military weapons systems.

MoeM
Forenlegende
Forenlegende

Beitrag von MoeM » 08.01.2013, 23:28

Lol didn`t know there was a swamp in English bord as well.
"girly attempts" ...don`t know, guess it`s a bit heavy said- but I`m sure Peter doesn`t lack this sense of humor^^

(But I love that Hillstyle anyway so I`m with P.O.S....)
Grüße Moe

Peter O. Stecher

Beitrag von Peter O. Stecher » 09.01.2013, 00:01

DoubleD, if you ever have an idea what the word "Hillbilly" means, and what Howard Hill was, how he lived, DoubleD -> confused only because of "Hill" and Hillbilly", you will understand, that it's a big difference, if one is talking Alabama southern slang, way of talking, "Yes, Ma'am!", or, what hillbilly means, one barely able to speak a line.

Many Thanks & Shoot Straight!

doubleD

Beitrag von doubleD » 09.01.2013, 06:29

What only shows that you have not the slightest idea what is the reality behind the term Hill-Billy...
nor the slightest Idea what may be of interest when it comes to archery.
I give you a hind.. its not the colours of the trousers a famous archer wore.. neither what he ate and drank.. its not how much money he achieved or to whom he was befriended.. no.. even not what beasts he hunted...

To know all this doesn't help to achieve any progress in archery, but to read all that rubbish in hope to find something important and to find nothing isn’t very satisfying. To make a joke about it is just the best way to handle that frustration..

Taran
Forenlegende
Forenlegende

Beitrag von Taran » 09.01.2013, 16:53

arigato, Peter.

and may there be peace in the backwoods among y'all!

Antworten

Zurück zu „Miscelaneous“